Dr Deborah Cheung
Specialist Breast Surgeon
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) (USyd, 1993)
- Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) (2001)
Surgical Training Sabbaticals
- Brigham Womens’ Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Raven Institute, London
- European Institute of Oncology, Milan
- St Vincent’s Private Hospital
- Nepean Public Hospital (Head of Department, Breast & Endocrine Surgery)
- Nepean Private Hospital
- Chris O’Brien Lifehouse
- Macquarie University Hospital
- Westmead Breast Cancer Institute
- BreastScreen NSW
- Senior Clinical Lecturer, University of Sydney
- Clinical Lecturer, Macquarie University Hospital
- Breast Surgeons of Australia and New Zealand (Breast SurgANZ)
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- COSA Clinical Oncological Society of Australia
- Australasia Society of Breast Diseases
- Breast Screen NSW
- American Society of Breast Surgeons
- Special interest in breast cancer survivorship
- Breast cancer prevention
- Aesthetic results in breast surgery
- Psycho-social effects of breast cancer treatment
Dr Deborah Cheung is a Senior Specialist Breast Surgeon in the field of cancer (mastectomy, oncoplastics), cosmetic (reduction, lift, augmentation) and associated reconstruction and revision surgery. She has over 20 years of breast surgery experience and is one of Australia’s pioneering surgeons in the field of oncoplastic and reconstructive surgery.
She is the Head of the Breast and Endocrine Surgery Department at Nepean Hospital, which is one of Australia’s busiest breast surgery units and is endorsed by the Cancer Council of Australia (2017 report) as the top surgical unit for breast reconstruction surgery for the last 4 years.
Since obtaining her medical degree from the University of Sydney in 1993, Dr Cheung has been mentored by world class breast surgeons and plastic reconstructive surgeons whilst working with renowned surgical and research units across the globe, including Harvard Medical School, London, Milan and UCLA.
Dr Cheung obtained Fellowship of the Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) in 2001 and has pursued a dedicated career in breast cancer and reconstructive cosmetic surgery. Her expertise extends to skin and nipple sparing mastectomies, immediate and delayed oncoplastic breast conservation, prosthetic and autologous breast reconstruction, breast reduction and lift surgery, and symmetrisation surgery.
She is committed to the cure, treatment, prevention and education of breast cancer works with dedicated cancer specialists as a part of a multidisciplinary team, to ensure each patient is discussed in an open forum with all relevant sub-specialists to optimise surgical outcomes, survival and quality of life.
* Breast cancer & oncoplastic surgery
* Breast augmentation surgery
* Breast lift surgery
* Breast reduction surgery
* Breast reconstruction & revision surgery